Giving FAQs

Why do we solicit money every year?

We ask you to give every year for several reasons:
  •  Your annual gifts continue to strengthen current and upcoming programs from year to year.
  • Many times we are judged on the number of alumni and friends that believe in us enough to give a gift when applying for grants or when being ranked in national polls like US News and World Report. The more people we have who made a gift of any size, the more likely for us to receive additional funding and higher rankings, which help to improve the university’s reputation among private institutions. 

What will my gift support?

You have the ability to designate your gift to the area in which you want to support, which means your gift can go to support anything from the Samford Fund, which is used at to address the university's most pressing needs; a specific college; a specific department; scholarships; the library…it all depends on where you choose your gift to go.

Is my gift tax deductible?

Yes, in most cases your gift is tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. We recommend you consult with your tax professional for more details on your specific case.

What is the time frame for your annual campaign?

The Annual Giving Campaign follows the university’s fiscal year from July 1 through June 30.

I received a letter that indicated I said I would make a gift, but I don’t want to at this time.

The student you spoke with may have made a mistake in recording the result of your conversation in his/her computer or he/she may have misunderstood what you stated. Either way, we truly apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Please let us know if you would like us to cancel the pledge by contacting Logan Heim, Assistant Director of Annual Giving, via telephone at 205-726-2302 or via e-mail at

If you receive reminder mailings (asking you to send a gift) after you have already canceled the pledge, kindly disregard these.

Who may I contact for more information?

For more information about giving to Samford, contact the Office of Annual Giving.